The Battletech History Timeline
- Second Soviet Civil War.
- End of Soviet Civil War as combined American and Western European troops intervene to
- Alliance scientists build the first fusion reactor. Kearny and Fuchida release their
initial findings on physics and are ridiculed.
- The Western Alliance, composed of forces involved in the war, includes Japan, Eastern
European nations recently liberated, and the now separate seven Russian States. The
Alliance begins vigorous support of scientific and space exploration efforts.
- First fusion driven spacecraft travels from Earth to Mars in 14 days. Myomer fiber
- Alliance has established scientific outposts throughout the solar system. Private
corporations begin establishing commercial colonies in space, resulting in research for
better materials and smaller portable fusion reactors. Long range space probes launched to
nearby stars. Several habitable worlds are discovered.
- Western Alliance becomes the Terran Alliance, with 120 member states.
- Faster than light stardrives developed based on Kearny/Fuchida research. The Jumpship is
invented but the cost of the project causes civil unrest.
- Maiden voyage of JumpShip to Tau Alpha Ceti.
- Following commercial production of FTL spacecraft, the first permanent colony is
established on Tau Alpha Ceti.
- At this time there are more than 100 colonized worlds.
- Rudolph Ryan invents the Iceship to solve water shortage problems.
- More than 600 worlds settled. A group of colonies declares its independence. After an 18
month war it is clear that the Terran government lacks the resources necessary to crush
- Terran government grants independence to all of its colony worlds. Soon the boundary of
Terran space shrinks to a 30 light year radius. People begin migrating to escape the
unrest on Earth.
- Foundation of the Free Worlds league.
- Civil war on Terra causes the collapse of the Terran Alliance. McKenna intervenes with
the spaceborne forces to stop the fighting and founds the Terran Hegemony under his
leadership. He successfully reunites many of the Alliance worlds.
- Starting with the Crucis Pact, several mutual defense leagues similar to the Treaty of
Marik begin to take shape.
- McKenna Dies.
- Michael Cameron replaces McKenna as Director General. During his term in office, the
Work Mech is invented using Myomer technology.
- 10 separate states with strong central governments have been formed.
- The Age of War begins as forces of the Capellan Confederation and the Free Worlds League
clash in the Andurien system. A number of short, bloody conflicts follow.
- After the battle of Tintavel results in thousands of civilian casualties,
representatives of the states meet to formulate and sign the Ares conventions, a set of
rules for warfare. Though the Ares conventions reduce the damages of war, they also cement
war as a way of life, and a method of settling even the smallest disputes.
- Numerous border conflicts. No conclusive wins or losses occur, though the Terran
Hegemony maintains superiority with the invention of the Battlemech in 2439.
- Battlemech invented, creating a vehicle with greater mobility and firepower than
- Lyran Commonwealth raid on Hegemony mech production facility on Hesperus II. Battlemech
technology begins to spread throughout the various states.
- The Age of War ends in another battle between Houses Marik and Liao over Andurien.
- Clasped Hands Treaty and Treaty of Geneva establish Ian Cameron of the Terran Hegemony,
Terrence Liao of the Capellan Confederation, and Albert Marik of the Free Worlds League as
the founders of the Star League. Further agreements with the Federated Suns, the
Lyran Commonwealth, and the Draconis Combine unites the Inner Sphere. Ian Cameron becomes First
Lord, with the other rulers holding seats on the high council.
- With the Taurian Concordat, The Rim Worlds Republic, and the Magistracy of Canopus
resisting all efforts to be brought into the league by diplomatic means, war is declares
between the Star League and the Periphery States. Reunification War begins.
- Reunification complete, the Periphery States surrender, becoming territories ruled by
the Star League.
- Hyperpulse Generator invented, capable of speedy transmissions. In following years the
Star League Establishes a network of stations tying the many systems of the Star League
together efficiently for the first time. At the same time, a cheap water purification
system is invented, rendering Iceships obsolete.
- When intelligence reports indicate that the Rim Worlds are building their army at an
alarming rate, Michael Cameron and the Council issue an edict limiting the size of private
forces in the states. Though obvious buildups are halted, secret armies are built and
small wars occasionally fought despite the apparent unity of the Star League.
- Simon Cameron, fifth First Lord of the Star League accidentally killed in mining colony
inspection, leaving 8-year-old Richard as his sole heir. The Council appoints Alexander
Kerensky as Regent, but with little council support, thus limiting his power. During the
ten year regency, the 2650 edict of Michael Cameron is cancelled, allowing the member
states to double their private military assets. An increase in allowable tax revenue
- First Lord Cameron reaches his Majority, and issues an order to disband all independent
armies. His proposal is struck down. In response, he dissolves the council, vowing to rule
- Richard Cameron's tax edict rejected by the periphery. Kerensky sent to cow the revolt
- Stefan Amaris signs secret pact with Richard to protect Terra. When Cameron House units
are sent to the Periphery as well, Amaris forces are the only ones left to guard Terra.
- Stephan Amaris kills Richard Cameron and every man, woman and child with a drop of
Cameron blood. At the same time, his troops move against Terra and other planets of the
- Amaris declares himself First Lord of the Star League. Kerensky declares cease fire with
all Periphery States Except the Rim Worlds and declares full war with the Usurper and his
realms. He takes the Rim Worlds Republic, then returns to the Terran Hegemony.
- Kerensky liberates Terra, and executes the Usurper and his entire family in retribution
for his actions. Kerensky proclaims himself Protector of the Realm and invites the Star
League Council to reconvene on Terra. The council lords convene and remove Kerensky, while
they each pursue their own claim to the office of First Lord. Jerome Blake appointed
minister of communications and placed in charge of repairing the Star League
- The council dissolves itself, and the lords return to their separate realms to prepare
- When the leaders of the great houses call for Kerensky's resignation, he gathers a huge
fleet of the Star League Army together at New Earth. He and his troops leave Star League
Territory and pass beyond the Periphery. 80% of the Army goes with him.
- Kerensky and his followers, vowing to return one day to restore the Star League. Form
colonies on a series of worlds known as The Pentagon. Eventually, the trials of life
beyond the Periphery cause a rebellion. Kerensky's son and successor, Nicholas, leads his
own troops to the planet Strana Mechty. There, he forms the basis of a society which will
be created when he returns to retake the Pentagon Worlds. The Clans are formed, based on a
clan governmental structure which uses genetic engineering to create the best warriors the
Human Worlds have ever seen. By the time the clans prepare to return to the Inner Sphere,
new races of perfect troops for infantry, aerospace and mech piloting have been created
and placed behind the most advanced weapons technology ever created, surpassing the Inner
Sphere by a wide margin.
- Starting with Minoru Kurita, the Lords of the Inner Sphere each declare themselves First
Lord of the Star League. The Succession Wars begin. The Major States are The Draconis
Combine ruled by House Kurita, The Free Worlds League ruled by House Marik, the Federated
Suns ruled by House Davion, The Capellan Confederation led by House Liao, and the Lyran
Commonwealth led by House Steiner. Blake obtains agreements that the Lords of the Inner
Sphere will not attempt to damage the communications network. Communications Authority
arises as a neutral power in control of the communications network, in the hopes of saving
it and the rapidly disappearing technologies of the Star League.
- First Succession War. Ares conventions cast aside in a brutal war. Facilities for
producing Technology and knowledge of how to produce them are destroyed at an alarming
rate. After such a brutal war a lasting peace is neither expected nor wanted. Instead, the
short peace is used to build for the next great war. Because of losses of trade for spare
parts for purification equipment, many worlds are abandoned, and water-rich worlds become
extremely valuable strategic targets.
- Hastily recruiting several regiments, Blake takes control of Terra, declaring it a
neutral world under protection of the communications authority. The organization soon
takes the name ComStar.
- ComStar becomes an institute for the preservation of Technology and Knowledge, so that
it may reveal it to the people of the Inner Sphere when the fighting is over.
Unfortunately, in an effort to prevent this preserved technology from adding further years
to the conflicts, measures are taken to maintain a monopoly on Star League technical data.
This eventually is perverted into an organization which uses its technology in an attempt
to dominate the Inner Sphere.
- ROM, the intelligence directorate of ComStar, is formed to prevent the spread of
technology and defection of ComStar personnel.
- Blake dies. He is replaced by Conrad Toyama. Approached by several representatives of a
faction seeking to use Comstar's Technological advantage to conquer the Inner Sphere, he
instead initiates a purge of the faction, using ROM to wipe out all its members before any
resistance can be organized. Toyama initiates the reorganization that will turn
ComStar into a religious organization bent on the isolation of Comstar's knowledge and power until
the rest of society collapses, at which point ComStar will return to save the human race.
- Second Succession War. As destructive as the last war, it accelerates the process of
technological decline. By the end of the war, technology has sunk overall to 21st century
levels, with the great houses just barely maintaining the technology to fight the war.
Though BattleMechs are still built, they can be produced only in small numbers, and spare
parts become scarce, as do people capable of doing the repairs. Repair and supply bases
become as valuable as water if not more.
- By the time Karpov becomes Primus of ComStar, ComStar has begun subtle manipulations of
the Inner Sphere, in order to facilitate Comstar's eventual success. To further aid this
effort, he opens a number of positions in ComStar to members of Great House and
MechWarrior Families, allowing them access to information on events and what little
technological innovation was occurring.
- Third Succession War. As the lords' resources become more depleted, the violence begins
to decline. Unwritten rules similar to the Ares conventions are put into force by the
warriors themselves, causing much less destruction and slowing, but not stopping,
Mankind's slide into barbarism.
- The Wolf's Dragoons enter the Inner Sphere on a recon mission for the Clans. They begin
to take work as mercenaries in order to gather information about the Successor Houses.
They become known as a top line Mercenary Unit.
- Hanse Davion sets up the New Avalon Institute of Science, as a semi-military academy and
research center for old and new technologies.
- House Davion and house Steiner sign the Federated Commonwealth Treaty, creating an
alliance between the two houses, and betrothing Archon-Designate Melissa Steiner to Hanse
Davion to unite the two kingdoms. In response, the other three houses form their own
alliance in the Concord of Kapteyn. Several attempts are made on Davion's life.
- Agents of House Liao attempt to replace Hanse Davion with a cloned replacement. Hanse
- At his wedding, Hanse Davion offers Melissa Steiner-Davion the Capellan Confederation as
a wedding gift. The Fourth Succession War begins.
- The Fourth Succession War. Steiner and Davion forces attack the Capellan Confederation
and the Draconis Combine. They declare victory and a cease fire, ending the war.
- ComStar removes a communications interdiction imposed on House Davion for an alleged
attack on a ComStar station. In exchange, ComStar gains the right to garrison its
facilities with its own Battlemech troops, gaining 50 regiments by 3050. Precentor Myndo
Waterly becomes Primus. She begins taking a more active role in the affairs of the Inner
- After making their reports to the Clans, Wolf's Dragoons return to the Inner Sphere with
orders from a faction within the clans (known as the Wardens) to prepare the Inner Sphere
for the Clan invasion (being led by the opposing faction, known as the Crusaders). The
Wolf's Dragoons decision to take this course of action is technically viewed as a
defection and/or treason by people on both sides in the conflict to come.
- Maximillian Liao, having gone mad during the war, kills himself. Romano Liao takes the
throne. St. Ives Compact secedes from the Capellan Confederation. At about the same time
the Free Rasalhague Republic is allowed to secede from the Combine.
- The Federated Commonwealth launches a war against the Draconis Combine. Newly outfitted
with Star League Era BattleMechs provided by ComStar as part of a deal for garrisoning
rights, Theodore Kurita forces back the assault.
- End of the succession Wars.
- The clans invade. Clans Wolf, Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, Nova Cat, and Steel
Viper leading. Many worlds are lost as the clans press toward Terra. Primus Waterly
establishes diplomatic relations with the clans in an attempt to play the two sides
against each other, weakening both.
- ComStar, which had been cooperating with the Clan conquerors up until this point. Draws
a line at Tukayyid. The battle results in a defeat for the clans as more than 50 Com Guard
Battlemech Regiments meet 25 Galaxies of Clan Troops. ComStar retains possession of Terra,
in addition to a 15 year truce, during which neither side will attack enemy held worlds on
the opposing side of the truce line. The fate of enemy worlds on the friendly side of the
line is uncertain, leading to a reduced, but still present amount of fighting. At the same
time, ComStar launches Operation Scorpion as hundreds of ComStar personnel, formerly
aiding in the administration of conquered worlds, rise up in (futile) rebellion. In an
attempt to subvert the authority of the leaders of the Inner Sphere, ComStar
interdict communications in all the houses (The houses had already seized many of the
ComStar facilities and had developed alternative communications systems besides). Soon
after this decision, Primus Myndo Waterly is killed by Precentor Martial Focht. A schism
develops between ComStar and a faction known as Word Of Blake, as ComStar begins to
release technological knowledge to the masses. Hanse Davion dies of a heart attack. Romano
Liao is assassinated. Sun-Tzu takes the throne of the Capellan Confederation.
- Present day.
[Back to Main Page]
Battletech ® is a Registered Trademark of FASA
Corporation. Original Battletech material Copyright © 1994 by FASA Corporation. All
Rights Reserved. Used without permission. Any use of FASA Corporation's copyrighted
material or trademarks in this archive should not be viewed as a challenge to those
copyrights or trademarks. Battletech ® is a registered trademark of FASA Corporation.